Ms. Bandong received the 2017 San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition’s Breastfeeding Champion award, an annual advocacy award that recognizes community members for their leadership in making breastfeeding a public health priority. She has been a breastfeeding advocate in her personal and professional life having been both a breastfeeding student and employee at the CSU.
Her work has allowed her the opportunity to see firsthand the varying degree of support and accommodation available to breastfeeding students and employees on campuses across California.
Her achievements include but are not limited to:
- Procured a campus-wide lactation support assessment for California State University San Marcos (CSUSM)
- Procured the donation of two hospital grade pumps
- Collaborated and consulted with CSUSM’s Gender Equity Center and Office of Communications in adding lactation services to their websites
- Presented at the CSUSM Student Affairs’ Annual Professional Development conference supporting CSUSM Student Parents
- Supervised a capstone project focusing on current lactation accommodation support
The breadth of Ms. Bandong’s breastfeeding advocacy encompasses not only offering personal support to breastfeeding students and fellow employees but includes implementing policy, systems and environmental changes at CSUSM.
Her most recent accomplishment was this past summer when she received confirmation from the University that every new building and major renovation will have a lactation space, including the new Extended Learning Building, which will be the first lactation space on campus in an academic building.